Find on Bestwine – Online all the brands and references of whisky glasses used in the starred gastronomic restaurants of the whole world. Place on your table, whisky glasses like those present on the most beautiful tables of the world.
Find the best whisky glasses
Discover the whisky glasses chosen by chefs, sommeliers and bartenders of starred gastronomic restaurants. A selection by credible and legitimate professionals to help you find the perfect whisky glass.
Buy the best whiskey glasses
We guide you to the most interesting commercial and promotional offers online. You can buy the best whiskey glasses with confidence from a reliable and unbiased source.
The best whisky glasses
With Bestwine – Online, the reference of the best whisky glasses:
- Enjoy a whisky in the perfect glass.
- Offer a whisky glass or a set of exceptional whisky glasses.
- Enrich your bar and your tableware with prestigious whisky glasses.
- Discover all the information you need to know about whisky glasses and their specificities in order to easily choose your whisky glass.
Peugeot whisky glass
Brand of whisky glass: Peugeot
Type of whisky glass: Whisky tasting glass
The Glen Cairn Glass
Brand of the whisky glass: The Glen Cairn
Type of whisky glass: Tulip whisky glass
Schott Zwiesel whiskey glass
Brand of the whisky glass: Schott Zwiesel
Type of whisky glass : Whisky tumbler
Best brands of whisky glasses
Refer to the opinions of chefs, sommeliers and bartenders from starred gourmet restaurants around the world to discover the best whisky glass brands in the world. A classification and comparison of the whisky glasses selected in the starred gastronomic restaurants by experts specialized in the high gastronomy.
|Reference of the whisky glass
|Brand of the whisky glass
|Capacity of the whisky glass
|Material of the whisky glass
|Type of whisky glass
|Peugeot whisky glass
|Whisky tasting glass
|The Glen Cairn whisky glass
|The Glen Cairn
|Whisky tulip glass
|Schott Zwiesel whisky glass
|Whisky tumbler glass
Definition of a whisky glass: a whisky glass is a glass container of the tumbler type (glass with a flat bottom and a wide perimeter), tulip type (glass with a stubby stem and a narrow neck) or tasting glass type (glass with a domed bottom and a thin neck). The whisky glass is a container allowing the tasting of whisky. The whisky glass can be made of glass or crystal.
Whisky is an alcoholic drink that is served in specific glasses. Whisky glasses are designed to allow the beverage to express all its aromas and flavors. Whisky is an alcoholic beverage rich in diversity. There are many varieties of whiskies. Many are the whiskies of various origins like the French whisky, the Irish whisky, the Japanese whisky, the American whiskies (bourbons), the Scottish whiskies (scotch), the Canadian whiskies or the Indian whiskies. Each whisky has its own recipe with atypical ingredients. Whisky or whiskey is the common name for a group of spirits made by distillation of malted or unmalted cereals. These malted and unmalted spirits are all different depending on the distilleries where they are produced, the brands that market them and also the references of each brand.
Whisky glasses have been produced in glass factories for centuries. It is important to know that man began to make glass about 5,000 years ago, in the region of the Fertile Crescent and the Nile Valley. The first glasses made exclusively for whisky tasting date back only several centuries. The whisky glass has been made by man since the 14th century. The first creations of whisky glasses are produced in Murano in Italy where glass craftsmen work. From the 19th century onwards, the bourgeoisie massively equipped themselves with whisky glass sets. Today, whisky glasses are mostly industrially manufactured.
Most whisky glasses have two parts, a chalice and a base. The chalice, which is also called the container or cup, is the upper part of the whisky glass.
The chalice is composed of the “buvant” which corresponds to the upper contour of the whisky glass. It is also known as the opening or rim. It is the highest extremity of the whisky glass on which the lips of the drinker come to rest to pour the whisky into his mouth. The thinner the rim, the better the whisky glass is considered to be. However, a glass that is too thin would be too fragile, so it is necessary to find the right balance.
The chalice consists of a part called the chimney. The chimney is the high part of the glass under the glass. The chimney is so called because it is a part whose diameter narrows progressively to the rim. The tighter the neck and the nipple, the more concentrated the whisky’s aromas, scents and essences will be and the easier they will be to analyze. However, a chimney and a mouthpiece that are too tight can prevent the whisky from being well aerated. That is why you have to choose a glass and a chimney that are tight enough to concentrate the aromas and wide enough to allow the good aeration of the whisky in the bottle.
Then, the shoulder of the whisky glass is the widest part at the bottom of the chalice. A whisky glass shoulder can be more or less wide, more or less rounded, more or less angular and more or less curved. A curved and rounded shoulder is the norm for a whisky glass. The cylindrical shape allows for better viewing of the whiskey and for the glass to be rotated to observe the whiskey and to help the flavors to develop. Thanks to the curved shape, the whisky glass hugs the liquid that is poured into it, promoting its proper aeration when in contact with the glass and the air.
Finally, the base of the whisky glass is the lowest part of the whole glass. The base of the whisky glass is also called the base. Flat, the base of the whisky glass must allow the container to stabilize on the support where it is put.
Choosing the right whisky glass
The whisky glass must allow the visual, olfactory and gustatory identification of each whisky reference. The whisky glass must allow the whisky to express all its identity. Before being drunk, a good whisky is to be contemplated and breathed. The whisky glass must allow the liquid to express itself in contact with the oxygen.
A good whisky glass must therefore allow to analyze all the characteristics of a whisky:
- The whisky glass allows to observe the color, the texture and the color of the whisky.
- The whisky glass allows to analyze the nose of the whisky, that is to say its smell and its effluvia.
- The whisky glass must allow to drink the whisky without altering its taste.
There are several types of whisky glasses:
- Old fashioned tumbler whisky glass: the old fashioned whisky glass is a tumbler type glass (table glass with a wide perimeter). The old fashioned whisky glass is also known as “old fashioned whisky glass”, “rocks glass” or “lowball glass”. The old fashioned whisky glass often has a long wide rim and neck and a thick bottom. The old fashioned whisky glass, thanks to its width and height, allows to integrate ice cubes with the whisky for consumers who appreciate fresh whisky. This is known as “whisky on the rocks” (which translates as “whisky on the rocks”). However, purists often prefer dry whisky, i.e. with no other ingredients or elements other than whisky. The standard size of whisky glasses varies from 15 cl to 60 cl. Old fashioned whisky glasses are sometimes decorated with engraved patterns on the glass. The “old fashioned” whisky glass is used to serve the Old fashioned cocktail. The Old fashioned is a cocktail to be served as an aperitif, composed of a sugar soaked in bitters (angostura type) to which whisky is added. Old fashioned whisky glasses have a volume of 6 to 10 American fluid ounces, or 180 to 300 ml. A double old fashioned glass, also called DOF glass by the professionals, contains 12 to 16 fluid American ounces, or 350 to 470 ml.
- The tulip whisky glass or Glencairn whisky glass: The tulip whisky glass is a thin glass with a thick stem that allows you to hold the glass by the stem to better visually appreciate the texture of the whisky without putting your hand directly on the body of the glass. The tulip glass has a wider body allowing you to see the variations in the whisky’s color depending on its concentration. The capacity of the tulip glass is approximately 175 ml. Finally, the tulip glass has a thin neck allowing to concentrate the scent of the whisky to the nose of the person tasting it. The tulip glass was popularized by the whisky company Glencairn Crystal Ltd., which made it the “Glencairn glass”.
- The whisky tasting glass: the whisky tasting glass is a wide-bottomed whisky glass with a neck that gradually narrows. The tasting whisky glass has a bottom marked by a central dome. This allows the whisky to breathe better when it is poured into the glass. When poured into this type of glass, the whisky hits the dome, which favors the contact of the beverage with the oxygen that allows the whisky to breathe. The dome at the bottom of the whisky tasting glass also allows you to see the texture of the whisky as the drops flow. The whisky tasting glass often has a support adapted to the shape of the glass. The stand, which can be made of metal or wood, follows the shape of the dome at the bottom of the glass to stabilize it. The whisky tasting glass is often used by experts in tasting but it is also suitable for novices to discover whisky.
A good whisky glass should be a translucent glass. The transparency of the glass allows you to better appreciate the aesthetics of the beverage. When choosing a whisky glass, it is therefore important to select a model without color or thick patterns that can alter the perception of the contents. A whisky glass should preferably be thin and long. A thin and long glass allows a better view of the flow of whisky on the walls of the glass to facilitate the analysis of the texture. A good whisky glass must be resistant in time. The whisky glass must be easy to clean and its quality must not be altered by repeated washing. A good whisky glass must also allow a good grip of the container. Aesthetically, a whisky glass must be simple and uncluttered to enhance the whisky rather than the container. The whisky glass must allow the spirit to express its character and its subtlety like its amber reflections. Of course, a whisky glass must be cylindrical, which allows to swirl the liquid but also to diffuse the freshness for a whisky “on the rocks” with ice.
A good whisky glass can be made of glass or crystal. Crystal is certainly a fine and high quality material which has advantages compared to glass such as light refraction (crystal is brighter than glass) and resistance (contrary to popular belief, crystal is stronger than glass). Crystal whisky glasses are however heavier than glass and more expensive. The difference between crystal and glass whisky glasses is not considerable. That’s why the best whiskey glasses can be made of glass or crystal.
There is no such thing as a specific whisky glass for a specific whisky such as a rich malt whisky, a peated whisky or a bourbon whisky. Indeed, to compare fairly all the whiskies whatever their variety or their origin and to appreciate their particularities, it is necessary to use only one and same type of glass whether it is of tumbler old fashioned, tulip or tasting type.
Concerning the price, a good whisky glass costs on average one or several tens of euros. The crystal whisky glass will logically be more expensive than the glass. In the same way, the more atypical and original forms can make the price of the glass go up. A branded or industrially manufactured whisky glass will also be more expensive than a standard glass.
The consumption of whisky by the glass
The whisky glass allows you to easily pour the beverage from the bottle or from the whisky decanter. Generally, whiskey is poured into the whiskey glass at most a ¼ of the volume of the glass. The whiskey glass should be at room temperature when it receives the whiskey. The whisky glass should never be hot (after washing). It goes without saying that the whisky glass must be clean and free of any impurities that may affect the appearance and taste of the whisky. The whisky glass must be dry before pouring the whisky into it, so that the concentration of flavours is not impaired. The glass can be cooled by placing it in the refrigerator before pouring in the alcoholic beverage. This allows the whisky to be tasted fresh by those who appreciate it in this way. Gustatively, it is advisable to cool the whisky glass in the refrigerator rather than to integrate ice cubes with the whisky in the glass. Indeed, the water which composes the ice cubes is diluted during the melting of the latter and alters the savour and the aromas of whisky. A whisky cut with water is a whisky whose essences are less concentrated, so the taste of the whisky loses its power. An alternative to the cooling of the glass upstream or to the ice cubes exists to taste the fresh whisky in the glass, it is the whisky stones. Or “ice block”. These whisky stones are made of granite stone in most cases. The stone stores the cold when it is put in the refrigerator and releases the cold into the whisky when it is put in. The whisky stone has the advantage of not altering the taste of the whisky since it is odorless and colorless.
The glass of whisky is sometimes accompanied by a coaster. The coaster is used to catch any drops of whisky that come out of the glass during the tasting. The coaster allows not to dirty the table.
The more the whisky is peaty, the more it is necessary to taste the beverage in a whisky glass with a narrow neck.
Whisky glasses in starred gourmet restaurants
Gastronomic restaurants are references in terms of gastronomy and taste, both literally and figuratively. Thus, the table setting and the decorative elements that compose the most beautiful addresses of the high gastronomy are what is done best. Logically, the best whisky glasses can be found at the table of starred gastronomic restaurants. That is, whisky glasses that are ideal for enhancing the taste and appearance of the spirit. Chefs, sommeliers and bartenders in gourmet restaurants are constantly on the lookout for the best in glassware and tableware to seduce the eye and the palate. Chefs, sommeliers and bartenders at starred gourmet restaurants seek out glass artisans and glass brands to find rare gems that are both beautiful and practical. By its shape, size or material, the whisky glass can vary but it must always allow the beverage to express itself.
In the art of the table, the whisky is served at the height of the break of the glass, that is to say where the glass is the widest at the shoulder.
There are several well-known and recognized brands of whisky glasses such as Peugeot, Schott Zwiesel, Riedel, Normann, Copenhagen, Littala, Orrefors and The Glen Cairn Glass.
An authentic classification and comparison to choose your whisky glass
Time needed: 5 minutes
Choose the best whisky glass for you:
- Select one or more selection criteria for your whiskey glass according to your preferences.
- Rank the whiskey glasses according to your selection criteria.
- Select your favorite whiskey glass.
- Buy online one of the best whisky glass at the best price.
- Receive or offer one of the best whisky glasses to enjoy your favorite spirit!
The selection of high end whisky glasses
Bestwine – Online references the whisky glasses present on the tables of the most famous and recognized gastronomic restaurants around the world. The references of whisky glasses have been acclaimed by the greatest chefs and sommeliers of the gastronomy, who are themselves valued by the critics. Only the whisky glasses sold online are presented to you so that you can buy them easily.
The best whisky glasses repository is updated daily with new references that are placed on the tables of gourmet restaurants. We also update the commercial and promotional offers to allow you to buy online a quality whisky glass at the best price. We are committed to presenting only whisky glasses from award-winning gourmet restaurants.
Chefs, sommeliers, bartenders and waiters of gourmet restaurants are the guarantors of the excellence of fine dining by offering the best products, food and beverages served in the most beautiful glasses in their restaurants. Naturally, the chefs, sommeliers and waiters of the finest gourmet restaurants have the best whiskey glasses on their tables.
Bestwine – Online is committed to referencing the best whisky glasses and to guide you towards the most attractive online commercial offers so that you can buy them at the best price. The good plan whisky glass for a good deal in order to find and buy a whisky glass at the best quality/price ratio!